Coursework Programme Master of Informatics
Informatics is a multi-disciplined study on the design, application and adoption of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in various
areas not only from the technical perspective but also from various aspects of society, organisation, and man as an individual member of the society
and organisation as a whole. By considering the great development that had taken place in the application and adoption of ICT in various disciplines,
this Master of Informatics programme is offered to fulfill the current requirements in this area.
Through Option B (see Elective Courses below), candidates will also be awarded with the Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Information Systems
and Telecommunications Management offered by Syracuse University, USA.
The objectives :
The objectives of this programme include:
• To develop and produce graduates with an in-depth understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of informatics and their inter-relationships;
• To produce graduates who are equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills in scientific, engineering and advanced analyses in ICT, which can be applied in a broad spectrum of jobs across various fields and sectors, especially in the business, technopreneurship and biomedical sectors; and
• To produce more ICT power users in various fields such as biomedical, healthcare, marketing, business and others, through the professional application of advanced tools and plug-ins.
Frequency of intake :
There will be one intake each year, in the months of September.
Core Courses (20 Units)
Candidates are required to take all the following core courses:
• Applied Informatics
• Informatics Project Management
• Informatics Research Methods
• Informatics Project
Elective Courses (23-24 Units)
Candidates are required to choose either Option A or Option B.
• Option A consists of courses offered fully by USM.
• Option B consists of courses offered by USM and Syracuse University, USA under the Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) programme.(CURRENTLY NOT BEING OFFERED)
Option A (24 Units, only for those with a basic degree in Computer Science/IT or related areas)
(a) Candidates are required to choose one of the following focused areas:
(i) Business Informatics
· Business Engineering with ERP Solutions
· Business Organisation & Environments
· Business Intelligence & Data Mining
(ii) Biomedical Informatics (CURRENTLY NOT BEING OFFERED)
· Healthcare Information Systems
· Bioinformatics Computing
· Consumer Health Informatics
(iii) Informatics Technopreneurship
· Technopreneurship & Business Development
· Financial Planning & Management
(b) Having chosen the focused area, candidates will then have to take the first course in the area and choose one (1) additional course from the chosen focused area. In other words, each candidate must choose two courses from the chosen focused area.
(c) Other electives - Choose four (4) other courses from the remaining courses in any of the three focused areas.
Option B (23 Units, open to all students)
(a) Candidates are required to choose two courses in a chosen focused area, as in Option A (See Option A (a) and (b) above).
(b) For other electives, all candidates are required to take the first course offered by Syracuse University in the Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) programme, which is:
(i) Management Principles for Information Professionals
The candidates are then required to choose any four (4) additional courses from the list below:
List of CAS elective courses for all students:
(ii) Information Policy
(iii) Introduction to Information Management
(iv) Strategic Planning in an Information-Based Organisation
(v) Managing Information Technology-Enabled Change
(vi) Information Industry Strategies
(vii) Information Architecture for Internet Services
List of CAS Elective courses for only those with a basic degree in any field other than Computer Science/IT or related area:
(viii) Information System Analysis: Concepts and Practice
(ix) Database Administration Concepts and Database Management
For Option B, all courses will be conducted through an online-mode, except for the first course which will be offered
over two weeks of classes.
Applicants should possess a bachelor's degree in any field, with a minimum CGPA of 2.75
from a recognised university or its equivalent.
Priority will be given to applicants who have working experience of
at least 3 years in areas related to ICT.
Expertise available in the School:
School of Computer Sciences
A minimum TOEFL score of 550 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 is required.
• At the discretion of USM / Syracuse University, candidates who have obtained a degree from universities using English as the medium of instruction may be exempted.
• Local Malaysian candidates with a credit in English at SPM level and a minimum score of Band 4 in MUET or equivalent may also be exempted from the TOEFL / IELTS requirement.
Note: Results must be attached with the application form.
Registration Fees : RM 340.00
Tution Fees : RM 268.00 X 40 Units
Total Fees : RM 11,060.00
Registration Fees : RM 910.00
Personal Bond : RM 1900.00
Tution Fees : RM 400.00 X 40 Units
Total Fees : RM 18,810.00
The candidatures must be within a minimum period of three (3) semesters, and a maximum of six (6) semesters.