A research degree is awarded primarily on the basis of a thesis embodying the results of a research project and any coursework topics (when necessary) or other formal studies required by the University and the School of Computer Sciences to be undertaken during the candidature period.
The degree can be pursued under the supervision of at least one academic staff of the school. Under this mode of study, the candidate is required to complete a thesis within a stipulated time period. Usually, full-time candidates for M.Sc. complete their thesis in 12 - 18 months and for Ph.D. in 30 - 40 months.
Full-time: Min 1 year / Max 3 years
Part-time: Min 2 years / Max 5 years
Full-time: Min 2 years / Max 5 years
Part-time: Min 3 years / Max 7.5 years
Applicants should posses the following:
- A BSc degree in Computer Science/ Information Technology or equivalent or
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering/ Electrical Engineering/ Computer Engineering (60% of the core component must be Computer Science related) with
- A minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent.
- Degrees awarded by local/ private institutions of higher learning, including those awarded under any collaborative/ franchising schemes with local or foreign partners must be accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA).
- A Master’s degree in Computer Science/ Information Technology or equivalent or
- A Master’s degree in Electronic Engineering/ Electrical Engineering/ Computer Engineering (60% of the core component must be Computer Science related) with
- A minimum CGPA of 3.00 or equivalent or
- A Bachelor’s degree with First Class Honours or GGPA with greater than 3.67in related areas.
For International Applicants:
- A minimum score of 550 in TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- A minimum score of 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
Note: At the discretion of USM, candidates who have a degree from universities that use English as their medium of instruction may be exempted. Results must be attached with the application form.
Current research and development activities are organised under three main research clusters
Current research and development activities are organised under three research clusters:
School of Computer Sciences
Universiti Sains Malaysia
11800, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
Tel: +604-653 3647 / 3610
Fax: +604-653 3684 / 4759
School of Computer Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia shall not be liable for any loss or damage caused by the usage of any information obtained from this web site.
Best viewed : Firefox3 | IE 7 [1280 x 1024 ]
Copyright @School of Computer Sciences 2015
Last Update : 12/10/2015